The State of New Hampshire has declared a state of emergency. All courts have suspended normal operations. If you are a client, please contact your attorney via their email or voice mail message. If you need our help, please CONTACT US so an attorney can be in touch.


Divorce Attorneys in New Hampshire

Putting Your Family’s Best Interests First

While everyone plans for a picture-perfect future, real life doesn’t always turn out the way we expected. Most clients who are going through a family law matter are anxious, and with good reason. The stakes are very high for you and your family because it can affect the rest of your life. Not knowing the outcome of child custody, child support, alimony, or property division can be highly stressful. Fortunately, our divorce attorneys in New Hampshire at Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. have years of experience and can fight aggressively for your family.

If you have a family law issue, call our capable team at (603) 288-1403, or contact us online.

Fighting By Your Side

You want a New Hampshire divorce lawyer with experience and a proven track record. We think you deserve that and more. Our New Hampshire divorce and family lawyers include a former state Supreme Court and Superior Court judge who wrote New Hampshire’s two-volume book on family law used by lawyers and judges across the state We also have a lawyer whose practice is focused on divorce and family law and has been appointed to act as a guardian ad litem to assist family law judges. This is the type of experience that can bring you peace of mind.

Once our divorce and family law lawyers are involved, you are not alone in dealing with this burden. We’re here to listen to your side and understand the facts. After you tell us about your situation, we can develop solutions that are best for your family situation. We’ll talk about your ideal outcome and put together a strategy to work towards that goal. We know that each family is unique, so we develop a legal plan that’s tailored to your family.

We’re proud to have earned our clients’ trust for more than 20 years. In fact, most of our divorce and family law cases are referred to us from other lawyers and satisfied clients.

Our Family Law Services

Our family law lawyers can help you with any family law issues, including:

  • Divorce
  • Legal separation
  • Parenting rights and responsibilities (custody and visitation)
  • Child support
  • Relocation
  • Alimony or spousal support
  • Property division
  • Domestic violence
  • Support and custody modifications
  • Prenuptial agreements

The New Hampshire family law attorneys at Douglas, Leonard & Garvey understand how stressful and emotional this process is for you. Our goal is to protect our clients’ families and give them the outcomes they desire.

Call our New Hampshire divorce lawyers today at (603) 288-1403.


  • Q:How do I start a divorce?

    A:In New Hampshire, a divorce officially begins when a petition for divorce is filed in appropriate court. Once the petition is filed in court, it must then be served on the other spouse. Alternatively, some spouses agree to file a joint petition for divorce. The filing of a joint petition for divorce eliminates the necessity of completing “service” upon the other party.

  • Q:How long will It take me to get divorced in New Hampshire?

    A:The answer depends upon the nature and complexity of each case. If both parties begin the process in agreement regarding all issues, both financial and parenting, and all necessary documents are filed with the court (i.e., final stipulation, parenting plan, uniform support order, etc.), then a divorce could be completed in approximately 60–90 days, depending upon the court where the matter is pending. If the parties are unable to agree upon the terms of their divorce, the process can take considerably longer. Generally speaking, contested divorces can take from one to one and a half years. Ultimately, if the parties are unable to resolve their disputes, and a court is asked to enter final orders after a trial, the length of the divorce can be prolonged if either party seeks an appeal to the New Hampshire Supreme Court.

  • Q:How much will it cost to get divorced?

    A:This is a very difficult question for any attorney to answer at the beginning of a case, as the nature and the scope of the work required cannot be predicted. In general, your attorney’s fees will be commensurate with the amount of time dedicated to your case. The amount of time dedicated to your case is directly related to the number and complexity of the issues in dispute. Unfortunately, this means if the other person is contentious and disputes most issues and files many motions, this drives up the cost of your case. You should have a clear understanding of the hourly rate that you are being billed for both attorney time and paralegal time as well as out of pocket expenses. You should receive a written fee agreement from your attorney. It is important to read and understand the terms of your financial relationship with your attorney.

  • Q:What is mediation?

    A:Mediation is a process using a mediator, usually a volunteer lawyer or former Marital Master. The mediator has no interest in the case and cannot compel the parties to settle. Mediation is a method by which both parties commit to considering alternative, and sometimes creative, outcomes to the issues in dispute. In a phrase, someone pays more than he/she wants to pay and someone agrees to receive less than he/she wants. In considering any offer or counter offer, each party must consider the inherent risks associated with trial, as well as the financial and emotional costs associated with prolonging the litigation. Mediation can resolve any issue arising between spouses/parents at any point during the litigation. Mediation can be used to resolve some, but not all, of the issues in dispute.

  • Q:What are the grounds for divorce in New Hampshire?

    A:New Hampshire has ten grounds or causes for divorce. A divorce can be granted on the ground that irreconcilable differences have caused the breakdown of the marriage. Irreconcilable differences is probably the most common ground upon which divorces are granted. Alternatively, a divorce can be granted upon a fault ground such as adultery, extreme cruelty, or habitual drunkenness.

  • Q:What is a legal separation?

    A:New Hampshire recognizes a legal separation between spouses. A legal separation requires the parties to engage in the same process as a divorce and has the same effect as a divorce except that neither party will be made free to re-marry. If one spouse seeks a legal separation and the other spouse seeks a divorce, the court will proceed with the matter as a divorce.

  • Q:We were never married but have children, and are now separating. How do I establish parenting rights and child support obligations?

    A:If you were not married, but have children, you would begin the process by filing, in the appropriate court, a parenting petition, which will include issues such as child support. Like a petition for divorce, the petition must be served upon the other spouse. Parents can also file joint parenting petitions. The filing of a parenting petition informs the court that only issues relating to the children—parenting rights, responsibilities, and financial support—are at issue. As the parents are unmarried, neither alimony nor property division can be heard by the court.

  • Q:What is a parenting plan?

    A:A parenting plan is a document, separate from a final stipulation or final decree of divorce, that addresses all issues regarding the children, which are applicable to your family. Among other things, a parenting plan addresses the following issues: • Decision-making responsibility for the children and access to information regarding the children (i.e., medical or educational records) • The routine schedule for the children while with each parent • Parenting time during holidays and birthdays • Parenting time during school vacations and summer vacation • Supervised parenting time, if applicable • Transportation responsibilities • Relocation of the residence of the children • Procedures for reviewing and modifying the parenting plan • Future dispute resolution

  • Q:How does the court determine parental rights and responsibilities?

    A:In determining parental rights and responsibilities, the court is guided by the best interests of the child. In determining the best interest of the children, the court will consider a variety of factors including: • The relationship of the child with each parent • The ability of each parent to assure that the child receives adequate care • The child’s developmental needs • The support of each parent for the child’s relationship with the other parent • The ability of the parents to communicate and cooperate with each other concerning the children • Any other factor(s) which the court considers relevant While the court is charged with the responsibility of supporting frequent and continuing contact between each parent and the children, where such is possible and appropriate, the court is not required, in the first instance, to award the parties joint or equal parenting rights and responsibilities.

  • Q:My child is 13 years old. Can’t they decide which parent to live with?

    A:Under New Hampshire law, there is no automatic age upon which a minor child can unilaterally decide where they want to live. However, if the court concludes that the minor child is of sufficient maturity to make a sound judgment, the court will give “substantial weight” to the child’s stated preference. In other words, if deemed a “mature minor,” the child’s preference becomes one of any number of factors the court will consider in issuing a parenting plan. Under these circumstances, the court will also consider whether other factors have influenced the minor child’s preference—i.e., whether a parent has pressured a child to state a particular preference or whether a parent has made promises to a child to encourage the child to state a particular preference.

  • Q:What is a guardian Ad Litem?

    A:If you and the other parent are unable to agree upon the terms of a parenting plan, the court may appoint a guardian ad litem (GAL) to represent the best interest of the children. Based upon the court’s understanding of the nature of the parenting issues in dispute, the GAL will be charged with the responsibility of investigating those issues identified by the court. A GAL’s investigation will typically include things such as interviews with both parents, meetings with the children, and the collection of information from collateral sources such as friends and family identified by each parent as well as from teachers, counselors, coaches, etc. Eventually, if the parties are unable to reach an agreement, the GAL will file a report, with recommendations for orders, with the court. Although the court will usually give considerable weight to the GAL’s recommendations, the court is not bound by the GAL’s recommendations. In other words, after hearing all the evidence during a final trial, the court can enter orders different from the GAL’s recommendations. When a GAL is appointed, the documents you receive from the court will discuss the $1,000.00 cap on the cost of the GAL’s investigation. If your case involves a number of contested parenting issues, assume that the cost of the GAL’s investigation will exceed that amount.

  • Q:I am the parent with primary residential responsibility for my children. Can I move out of state?

    A:These are very difficult cases and the outcome will depend on the facts of each case. If the other parent disputes the proposed relocation of the children, the relocating parent must show that the proposed relocation is for a “legitimate purpose.” A “legitimate purpose” is one that cannot be accomplished if the relocating parent remains in New Hampshire. Only if the relocating parent demonstrates that a legitimate purpose exists, then the opposing parent must demonstrate why it is not in the children’s best interest to relocate. Some of the factors that the court will consider in determining whether the proposed relocation is in the children’s best interest include: • The prospective advantages of the move • Whether the relocation is motivated by the desire to frustrate the other parent’s parenting rights • Whether the relocating parent will comply with new parenting orders • Whether there is a realistic opportunity for parenting time which will preserve the other parent’s relationship with the child • The negative impact from continued hostility between the parents • The effect that the move may have on any extended family relationships Unfortunately, relocation cases are not good candidates for mediation because one parent must either agree to give up the desire to relocate with the children or the other parent must allow the children to move. Under the circumstances, there is not much middle ground. As a result, these cases are oftentimes litigated and can take quite a long time to come to final resolution.

  • Q:How will the court establish child support?

    A:In the first instance, the court will utilize the child support guidelines worksheet to establish child support. Child support is calculated using each party’s monthly gross income, after certain limited deductions are applied. Special circumstances can exist which would compel the court to deviate from the application of the child support guidelines. Special circumstances include things such as the child’s on-going extraordinary medical, dental, or educational expenses; the significantly high or low income of the obligor and obligee; and the expenses incurred by the obligor in exercising his/her parenting time. Joint or shared parenting time does not automatically mean that one parent will not pay child support. However, joint or shared parenting time is a factor which the court may consider in arriving at an appropriate child support order.

  • Q:How can child support be modified?

    A:Child support may be modified three years after the entry of the last order of support. Otherwise, child support can be modified, prior to the expiration of three years after the entry of the last order, only if a substantial change in circumstances has occurred. Substantial changes of circumstance would include things such as the loss of a job, a change in parenting rights, etc. Any agreement between parties to modify child support (either upward or downward) should be in writing and filed with the court; otherwise, it may not be enforceable by the court in the event of a future dispute.

  • Q:Can I be ordered to pay my child’s college education expenses?

    A:No. The courts no longer have authority to order either party to contribute toward a child’s college education.

  • Q:Does New Hampshire recognize alimony?

    A:Yes. The court has the discretion to award alimony. In determining whether an alimony award is appropriate, the court will consider whether the spouse requesting alimony has a financial need and whether the spouse from whom alimony is sought as the financial ability to pay. If the court finds there is a need for alimony and an ability to pay alimony, the following are some of the factors that the court will consider in determining the amount and duration of the alimony award: • The length of the marriage • The age and health of the parties at the time of the divorce • Each spouse’s ability to earn income • Future financial prospects of each spouse • The parties’ respective contributions during the marriage • Fault grounds for the marital breakdown Unlike child support, which is oftentimes calculated based upon a mathematical formula, there is no such formula for calculating the amount and duration of alimony.

  • Q:How is property divided?

    A:In New Hampshire, property is defined as all tangible and intangible property and assets belonging to either or both parties. In the first instance, the court presumes that an equal division of property is equitable. The court has the discretion to order an unequal division of property if it concludes that an equal division would not be appropriate or equitable. Any one or more of the following factors, if found by the court to exist, could result in an unequal property division: • Duration of the marriage • Age, health, occupation, employability of each spouse • The ability for future acquisition of assets or income • The custodial parent’s ability to become gainfully employed • The need of the custodial parent to remain in the marital residence • The actions of either party relative to the growth or diminution of assets • Significant disparity in each spouse’s contributions, both financial and homemaking • Tax consequences of the property division • The value of property acquired to the marriage or subject to a valid prenuptial agreement • The fault of either party • Any other factor the Court considers relevant

  • Q:My spouse owns assets in their name. Will those assets be considered marital property?

    A:The manner in which an asset is owned—i.e., in one spouse’s name instead of jointly held—does not exclude it from being considered property subject to division in the divorce. For example, if your spouse accumulated a pension benefit during the course of the marriage, you have a marital interest in the pension benefit even though ownership of the asset is held in your spouse’s individual name. Likewise, if the deed to the marital residence is held in one spouse’s name, the other spouse still has a marital interest in the equity accumulated in the property. While other factors may impact how the court divides the assets, the manner in which an asset is owned, or title to an asset is held, is not determinative.

  • Q:What is the standard for valuing property?

    A:Fair market value is the standard by which assets are values. The court does not use replacement value, retail value, or trade-in value. Oftentimes, parties will need to have assets appraised to determine fair market value.

  • Q:Does New Hampshire recognize prenuptial agreements?

    A:Yes. New Hampshire will recognize prenuptial or antenuptial agreements. However, the validity of such agreements is oftentimes challenged once the divorce begins. If a spouse challenges the validity of the prenuptial or antenuptial agreement, some of the factors it will consider include: • The length of the marriage • Whether both parties were represented by attorneys in drafting and negotiating the terms of the prenuptial or antenuptial agreement • Whether both parties fully disclosed their financial circumstances at the time the prenuptial or antenuptial agreement was executed • Whether both parties executed the prenuptial or antenuptial agreement freely and voluntarily • Whether enforcing the terms of the prenuptial or antenuptial agreement would produce a grossly unfair result to one party.

  • Q:Why should I hire Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. as my divorce and family law attorneys?

    A:Many lawyers claim to have divorce and family law experience. We recognize the long-lasting impact on you and your family. We have experience in all aspects of divorce and family law. As experienced trial lawyers, we will protect you and your family.

  • Q:What is combined adjusted monthly gross income for child support?

    A:The Payor and Payee’s actual Combined Adjusted Monthly Gross Income (from Line 6, Column 3, of the Child Support Guidelines Worksheet), is used to determine which line of the table, i.e., which 10 dollar range, to use to find the appropriate guideline child support amount. For example, if the amount entered on Line 6, Column 3, of the Child Support Guidelines Worksheet is $2,726.00, the line on the table that is used to determine the guideline amount is the line listing the 10 dollar range $2,720.00 – $2,729.00, as $2,726.00 falls within that range.

Our Client Stories

  • “Benjamin King was the best lawyer I ever could have asked for to represent me, because he was passionate and knowledgeable about fighting discrimination. He believed me and fought for me.”

    - Kate Frederick
  • “I'm happy with the result and would recommend the firm to anyone in need of someone that will truly fight for them.”

    - Brandie Gonthier
  • “I had the pleasure of meeting with Atty Megan Douglas. Megan looked at every aspect of my case not just the obvious. She took her time and explained to me in detail and always readily avail. To speak ...”

    - Melissa P.
  • “I would highly recommend Jared in the future!”

    - Joel
  • “Whatever you do, hire this Law Office to fight for you and WIN. When other Law Offices tell you they will win, they don't, this Law Office and Ben King won a very intricate case.”

    - Tom C