Skip to Content

6 Common Questions New Hampshire Department Labor

With over 100 years of experience,
our firm is here to help you.

Is an employee allowed to see their personnel file?

Yes, an employee, whether past or current, must be given access to review or be given a copy of, if requested, his or her own personnel file, whether maintained in one or more locations. (RSA 275:56).

Does an employer need to put pay and benefits in writing?

Yes, employers must provide in writing an employee’s rate of pay at the time of hire and upon any changes as well as all policies pertaining to any fringe benefits, signed by the employee (RSA 275:49 and New Hampshire Administrative Rules Chapter LAB 803.03(f)).

Does an employer need to provide a payroll deduction stub?

An employer is required to provide the employee with a written statement of all deductions, which may include taxes, insurance premiums, contributions to charities, and legitimate deductions made from gross wages (RSA 275:49,IV).

Is an employee entitled to a lunch period?

An employer cannot require that an employee work more than five consecutive hours without granting a thirty-minute lunch or eating period. If the employer cannot allow thirty minutes, employees must be paid if they are eating and working at the same time (RSA 275:30-A).

What is the minimum number of hours per day an employee must be paid when reporting to work?

A minimum of two hours must be paid to an employee who reports to work at the employer’s request (RSA 275:43-a and New Hampshire Code of Administrative Rules Chapter LAB 803.03(f)).

When must an employer pay wages after employment end?

If an employee quits or resigns, the wages are due by the next regular payday. If fired, the wages are due within 72 hours from the time of termination (RSA 275:44).

If you feel you have a wage issue (or are owed wages), it is important to contact one of our employment law attorneys at Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. Call us at (603) 288-1403 or fill out our online contact form.