The State of New Hampshire has declared a state of emergency. All courts have suspended normal operations. If you are a client, please contact your attorney via their email or voice mail message. If you need our help, please CONTACT US so an attorney can be in touch.

Personal Injury

New Hampshire Personal Injury Attorneys

Seeking Justice for Our Clients

Dealing with a personal injury can change your life. Some injuries can cause long-term damage, keeping you from work and the regular life you once lived. Other injuries cause you pain and suffering but you recover after a period of time. Either way, if you were hurt because of someone else’s negligence, it can mean lost wages and medical expenses. It is frustrating dealing with the insurance company; our New Hampshire personal injury attorneys can aggressively represent you.

Insurance companies have adjusters and attorneys working for them to try to pay the lowest amount for your claim. Don’t be at the mercy of the insurance companies. After an accident, you have enough to deal with. You need to focus on recovering, while Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. can focus on your case.

Contact us online or call (603) 288-1403 for a free consultation today.

Why Hire Our Team

You want someone with experience and a proven track record. We believe you deserve that and more. You need a law firm that knows how to take on the insurance company, fight to protect your rights, and get the compensation you deserve.

Once our New Hampshire personal injury lawyers are involved, we’ll take immediate action. We handle all communications on your behalf and bring the peace of mind that you are not alone dealing with this problem. We can stop the calls from insurance companies, investigate the facts of your accident, and put together the best legal strategy to maximize your recovery. This may involve interviewing witnesses, consulting medical experts or preserving other helpful evidence.

We have prepared a New Hampshire Personal Injury Guide to help explain the process. Complete our contact form to get a free copy of the Consumer Guide to Personal Injury in New Hampshire.

Our Services

We offer a wide variety of personal injury services because there are, unfortunately, many kinds of accidents that can be caused by a negligent party.

You may be eligible to seek compensation for your injury if you’re a victim of:

Contact us online or call (603) 288-1403 for a free consultation today.


  • Q:What do I do after an automobile accident?

    A:There are several important steps you need to take after you have been in an automobile accident. The first thing is to get the medical attention you need. Next, you need to contact an experienced personal injury attorney. There are many pitfalls in automobile accident cases that you need to avoid. It may seem obvious, but you need to get as much information about the other driver as possible, including his license plate, his driver’s license information, and insurance information. Other important information may be the identification of witnesses to the accident. You should call the police to report the accident so there is a record of the accident. Get any necessary medical treatment. The doctor or the hospital will record your injuries and treatment in your medical records. Also, you should photograph any of your injuries, whether they are cuts, bruises, scratches, or stitches, because the photographs will show the injuries you sustained in the accident. Injuries heal over time and it is important to have a record of the injuries you received in the accident.

  • Q:Should I give a statement to the other driver’s insurance company?

    A:No. When we have clients come to us after an automobile accident, we often find that the insurance company for the other driver called them and took a recorded statement over the phone or in person. It happens a lot, even before people have had a chance to hire their own attorney. The reason why the insurance companies do this is because they count on many accident victims not getting their own lawyer and then they can offer a quick and low settlement. Insurance companies count on the fact that you will not know the value of your case. The insurance company for the other driver is interested in asking you a lot of questions about the accident and finding out about your injuries and how you are feeling. That insurance company will try to use this information against you if you make a claim. Be alert that the other driver’s insurance company is not looking out for your best interest. While you do have an obligation to cooperate with your insurance company, you are under no obligation to talk to the other driver’s insurance company if they contact you. It is best to have your lawyer deal directly with the insurance company.

  • Q:I don’t have health insurance or the money to pay for medical treatment. Can I pay my medical bills from a settlement of my automobile accident?

    A:Yes. We frequently negotiate on behalf of our clients with their healthcare provider to wait and get paid out of any personal injury settlement. You should be aware that if you do have health insurance, many of the policies require that the health insurance company be repaid for medical bills paid on your behalf as the result of an injury caused by a third party.

  • Q:How common are brain injuries?

    A:According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.5 million emergency room visits, hospitalizations or deaths were associated with a traumatic brain injury in 2010.

  • Q:What should I do if I’m injured?

    A:Your first priority is to get medical treatment. Talk with your doctor about your injury and make a plan to recover.

  • Q:Can I sue the party responsible for causing my brain injury?

    A:If you believe you have a claim, your best course of action is to contact an experienced brain injury lawyer who can investigate your case. A lawyer needs to determine if another party was responsible for your injury, which can be complicated. For example, if the brain injury occurred as a result of medical malpractice, then the healthcare providers involved might be responsible. If a negligent driver caused a car accident resulting in brain damage, the driver may be responsible. Regardless of what circumstance causes the injury, it is necessary to investigate in order to determine who is responsible.

  • Q:What type of damages can be awarded in a brain injury lawsuit?

    A:Damages depend on a variety of circumstances, so each case is different. However, an experienced lawyer will try to get compensation for medical bills, pain and suffering, lost wages, impaired earning capacity, life care expenses, and future expenses.

  • Q:Are brain injury cases difficult to prove?

    A:Brain injury cases present unique challenges. Because the injuries can be “invisible,” it is necessary to explain to the insurance companies the significant impact and changes brain injuries can cause to a victim’s life and their family. Typically, it is necessary to hire experts to present a brain injury case, which is very expensive. You need to hire a lawyer that has the resources to devote the time and expenses to your case.

  • Q:Do I need to hire an attorney if I have suffered a brain injury?

    A:The short answer is yes. Insurance companies have experienced adjusters and lawyers on their side. You need an experienced lawyer representing you to protect your interests. An experienced brain injury lawyer will ensure the insurance company understands the unique issues confronting you as you seek fair compensation.

  • Q:What do I do if a dog has bitten me?

    A:If a dog has bitten you, you need to seek medical treatment. Animal bites can cause serious injury and infection. Your initial medical attention will be a record of your injuries and the treatment you received. Also, try to get as much information about the dog’s owner and the dog. The identification of any witnesses is also important.

  • Q:Should I contact the police?

    A:Yes. The police will investigate the incident and gather information that’s used to file a claim with the owner’s insurance company.

  • Q:Do I need photographs of my injuries?

    A:Yes. Maybe you’ve heard the expression that “a picture is worth a thousand words.” It is important to take photographs of your injuries as soon as possible before they start to heal or fade. You should also take photographs of prescribed treatments.These photographs will be used to support your claim because they demonstrate your injuries and pain and suffering.

  • Q:If my child is bitten, can I make a claim on their behalf?

    A:Yes. Minors can’t bring a claim on their own, so it is common for parents to bring claims on behalf of their injured children. Dog bites can cause serious physical injuries such as scarring as well as emotional trauma to children.

  • Q:Who is responsible to pay for my damages?

    A:Depending on your case, there is typically an insurance policy available to pay your damages. Most bite victims know the dog’s owner, but you should not be concerned about affecting their finances because insurance will most likely cover the damages.

  • Q:Should I talk with the dog owner’s insurance company?

    A:No. You should not discuss your claim with the dog owner’s insurance company until you consult with your lawyer. Frequently, the insurance company will try to get you to agree to give a recorded statement, which can put you at a disadvantage. Many insurance companies count on victims not to get an attorney.

  • Q:How do I prove that the dog owner is liable for my dog bite injuries?

    A:New Hampshire has a law or statute that makes a dog owner “strictly liable” for the harm caused by a dog’s “vicious or mischievous acts.” Generally, this means that the dog owner will be liable for your dog bite injuries without regard to whether the dog owner was careless or knew that the dog could be dangerous.

  • Q:Do I have to prove that the dog bit me in order to get damages?

    A:No. New Hampshire law does not require an actual bite, just injuries. There was a recent case in the New Hampshire Supreme Court in which a victim was frightened by an attacking dog, which resulted in the victim falling off their bike and getting hurt. The New Hampshire Supreme Court held that the dog bite statute does not require an “actual bite or other direct physical contact.”

  • Q:How much is my case worth?

    A:The value of your case depends on a lot of factors. Dog bite injuries can have a devastating physical and emotional effect on the victim. Recoverable damages may include medical expenses, lost earnings, and future earning capacity. You would be entitled to recover future medical expenses too, like cosmetic surgery to erase visible scars.

  • Q:Should I hire an attorney to handle a dog bite claim?

    A:Because the dog owner typically has insurance coverage, the insurance company has their own experienced adjusters and lawyers. The insurance company needs to know that you have an attorney that is experienced and willing to bring a case to trial. It is the threat of a trial that puts the pressure on the insurance company to offer you a fair settlement. The insurance company knows which lawyers will try a case and which lawyers just want to settle a case.

  • Q:What are the most common causes of motorcycle accidents?

    A:The most common cause for motorcycle accidents is driver inattention by the other vehicle’s driver. Other causes include speeding, driver inexperience, and poor weather or road conditions.

  • Q:How do you value my case?

    A:Based on our years of experience in handling these types of claims, we can put a value on your case. We make this determination based on several factors including: The fault of the other driver, The type and extent of your injuries (mild, moderate or severe) , Amount of medical treatment and likelihood of future medical treatment , Disabilities (temporary or permanent), Lost wages for missed work and the consideration of future lost earnings, orPain and suffering.

  • Q:What do I need to do to file a claim for my motorcycle accident?

    A:First, seek medical attention. Next, find a skilled attorney that has experience with motorcycle accident claims. Your lawyer will investigate your case to determine the responsible party as well as assess your damages. A claim will be made against the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

  • Q:Should I talk to the other driver’s insurance company?

    A:No. You should not discuss your claim with the insurance company until you consult with your lawyer. Frequently, the insurance company will try to get you to agree to give a recorded statement, which can put you at a disadvantage. Many insurance companies count on victims not to get an attorney.

  • Q:How does an attorney investigate my accident?

    A:An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will interview participants and bystanders who may have witnessed your motorcycle crash. These interviews will include you and any passenger, the other driver and any passengers, any bystanders or eyewitnesses. Other valuable information can be learned from the police and ambulance personnel who were called to the scene.

  • Q:How can a reconstruction expert help my case?

    A:An experienced motorcycle accident attorney will investigate your motorcycle accident to get the best evidence available to pursue your claim. A motorcycle accident reconstructionist can help prove the other driver’s fault. A motorcycle reconstructionist can cost thousands of dollars, so it is necessary for you to hire a law firm with the resources to work with such an expert.

  • Q:Do I need a motorcycle accident lawyer?

    A:Yes. If you have been a victim in a motorcycle accident, you need a motorcycle accident lawyer because the insurance companies have their own experienced adjusters and lawyers. Insurance companies want to pay you the least amount to settle your case. Experienced law firms like Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. can fight for you and help you get the compensation you deserve.

  • Q:How do I pay my attorney?

    A:We work on a contingency fee arrangement, which means your fees are paid out of compensation awarded in your case.

  • Q:As a parent, can I bring a claim on behalf of my child?

    A:Yes. Under New Hampshire law, a parent can bring an action on behalf of their child who is younger than 18 years old at the time of the abuse.

  • Q:What should I do after a slip and fall accident?

    A:First, seek medical attention for your injuries. In severe cases, this may require an ambulance for transport to the Emergency Department. Sometimes, injuries from a slip and fall accident may not develop immediately, but rather, several days later. In this situation, it is very important that you be examined by a healthcare provider.

  • Q:Should I file an accident report?

    A:Yes. A report provides a record of your accident and provides important details like what the conditions were at the time of your accident and identifies witnesses. The report can be used to strengthen your claim.

  • Q:What if I slip and fall at work?

    A:Depending on the facts of your situation, you should speak with an attorney to discuss your rights. Most work-related injuries are handled through a workers’ compensation claim and you may be eligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

  • Q:What type of damages can I collect in a slip and fall accident?

    A:There are a variety of damages recoverable in a slip and fall case. They generally include reimbursement of medical bills and expenses, lost wages for missed work, and compensation for pain and suffering.

  • Q:What is my claim worth?

    A:The value of your claim depends on the facts and circumstances of your accident and the nature and severity of your injuries. Determining the value of your claim requires an experienced slip and fall lawyer because it is necessary to negotiate with the insurance company to make sure you’re fairly compensated.

  • Q:Do I need a lawyer for my slip and fall case?

    A:Insurance companies have experienced adjusters and lawyers and rely on the fact that many slip and fall victims do not get a lawyer. They count on that you do not know the fair value of your injuries. Because slip and fall cases can be difficult, most slip and fall cases require an experienced slip and fall lawyer to assist you. The lawyer will initiate an investigation to preserve evidence and identify and locate witnesses. Having an experienced lawyer on your side will protect your rights and make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries.

  • Q:What is a spinal cord injury?

    A:A spinal cord injury is used to describe any damage to the spinal cord or nerves surrounding it. Typically, broken bones in the neck or back pressing on the spinal cord cause the injury.

  • Q:What are the common causes of spinal cord injuries?

    A:There are many causes for spinal cord injuries, but common causes include motor vehicle collisions, falls, sports injuries, and other medical conditions.

  • Q:Is a spinal cord injury permanent?

    A:Any disability associated with a spinal cord injury depends on the severity of the injury. Spinal cord injuries are classified as either complete or incomplete. Complete injuries result in total loss of sensation and function below the injury level. Incomplete injuries result in partial loss.

  • Q:How common are spinal cord injuries?

    A:It’s estimated that 276,000 people are living with spinal cord injuries.

  • Q:Do I need to hire an attorney if I have suffered a spinal cord injury?

    A:Yes. Insurance companies have experienced adjusters and lawyers on their side trying to settle with you for the least amount of money, which is why you need an experienced lawyer to protect your interests. This is especially true with someone who has suffered a spinal cord injury. Some insurance adjusters and defense lawyers misunderstand the symptoms, consequences and medical treatment for a spinal cord injury.

  • Q:Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?

    A:Immediate family members, including parents, spouses, and children are eligible to file a claim.

  • Q:What damages are recoverable in a wrongful death action?

    A:Damages can include compensation for loss of life, mental pain and suffering, medical and funeral costs, probable future earnings, and loss of support or companionship.

  • Q:As a spouse, am I entitled to recover damages in a wrongful death action?

    A:Yes. Under New Hampshire law, a surviving spouse is entitled to money damages for loss of the comfort, society, and companionship of the deceased.

  • Q:What damages is a minor child entitled to receive in the wrongful death of a parent?

    A:Under New Hampshire law, where the deceased is a parent of a minor child or children, the child or children are entitled to be compensated for the loss of familial relationship.

Our Client Stories

  • “Benjamin King was the best lawyer I ever could have asked for to represent me, because he was passionate and knowledgeable about fighting discrimination. He believed me and fought for me.”

    - Kate Frederick
  • “I'm happy with the result and would recommend the firm to anyone in need of someone that will truly fight for them.”

    - Brandie Gonthier
  • “I had the pleasure of meeting with Atty Megan Douglas. Megan looked at every aspect of my case not just the obvious. She took her time and explained to me in detail and always readily avail. To speak ...”

    - Melissa P.
  • “I would highly recommend Jared in the future!”

    - Joel
  • “Whatever you do, hire this Law Office to fight for you and WIN. When other Law Offices tell you they will win, they don't, this Law Office and Ben King won a very intricate case.”

    - Tom C