Skip to Content

What is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance?

With over 100 years of experience,
our firm is here to help you.

Car Insurance in New Hampshire

New Hampshire is one of two states that does not require drivers to have car insurance (the other is Virginia). Although carrying auto insurance is not required by law, New Hampshire is an at-fault state that requires residents to cover the costs of injured drivers if they are liable for a collision. However, some drivers still choose to forego purchasing a policy and drive around uninsured. If you are injured in an accident with one of these drivers, you may struggle with receiving coverage for your damages.

What Are Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Plans For?

There is a way to protect yourself from the difficulties of colliding with an uninsured driver. Auto insurance companies offer uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance plans, which provide coverage if an at-fault driver does not have car insurance, or whose car insurance is insufficient to cover your damages.

Why Do I Need Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance?

Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance can be helpful in any situation in which another driver is not adequately insured and cannot cover the expenses of a car accident. For example, if you were to collide with a driver who did not have car insurance, you would need to file a claim with your own auto insurance company, pay for your expenses out of pocket, or rely on your health insurance provider to cover damages. This could be complicated and may contribute to changes in your insurance rate and other issues.

Another situation in which uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance can be helpful is if a driver is insured, but their insurance coverage is not sufficient. For example, you may be involved in a damaging car accident. The other driver’s basic insurance coverage is not enough to pay for the full amount of your medical bills and other expenses. Uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance could step in to make up for the gap in coverage.

What If I'm Involved in an Hit & Run Accident?

In addition to providing compensation to people who collide with uninsured drivers, this type of insurance coverage can be very helpful to the victims of hit and run accidents. If you are injured by a hit and run driver who is never identified, you will encounter many of the same issues as collisions with uninsured drivers present. To cover your expenses, uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance can help.

Call (603) 288-1403 For Guidance

Contact Douglas, Leonard & Garvey, P.C. if you were injured in a motor vehicle accident and are in need of legal representation. We are available to discuss the details of your case.

If you are interested in speaking with our legal team, send us a message or call (603) 288-1403 for a free consultation with our lawyers.